Dr. William McCoy - Chief Technology Officer
Tenure with Phigenics
Co-founded Phigenics in 2004 and is Chief Technology Officer for the company.
Prior to Phigenics, 20 years in commercial development, management of technology, intellectual property development and R&D for large multi-national corporations (Rohm and Haas Co., Great Lakes Chemical Company and Nalco Chemical Company).
The International Water Association published in 2005 the full-length book entitled Preventing Legionellosis.
Published 26 patents, 3 patent applications (pending), 8 book chapters and over 100 peer-reviewed scientific articles.
Ph.D. in Microbiology from the University of Calgary and M.Sc. from the University of Hawaii. Two undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Microbiology from California State University, Long Beach. Executive Management Education from the University of Michigan. Born in San Diego and grew up near Orange County, CA.
Affiliations & Certifications
- Non-transient, Non-Community Public Water Supply Operator, IDPH I.D. #11890
Member (appointed), World Health Organization, committee to write a global guideline entitled Legionella and the Prevention of Legionellosis, Published 2007.
- Board of Directors, ALDA Pharmaceuticals Corporation. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Symposium Chairman (appointed), National Association of Corrosion Engineers (National Association of Corrosion Engineers). For the 1997 meeting of T-7A-16 (Application/Misapplication of Biocides).
- Chairman (elected), Technical Advisory Committee, Engineering Research Center, National Science Foundation, Center for Biofilm Engineering, Montana State University, 1992-1994. Directed activities of the Advisory Board, especially in strategic planning.
- Chairman (appointed), Joint Task Group, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 17th ed., Section 9216, Direct Total Count by Epifluorescence Microscopy. 1990. Led the group that wrote a method that has now been adopted as a standard.
Vice-Chairman (elected), National Association of Corrosion Engineers (National Association off Corrosion Engineers). Work Group T-7A-16c: Biocide Effectiveness Monitoring in Cooling Water Systems.
- Editor (invited). Member of the Board of Editors for the research and review journal International Biodeterioration covering the fields of biodeterioration control and biodegradation-biotechnology, 1989-1991.
Analytical Laboratory Certifications:
- USEPA: National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program, Registry No. 17595
CDC: Environmental Legionella Isolation Technique Evaluation (ELITE) program. Certified 1/16/09
Certified Indoor Environmentalist (CIE), Indoor Air Quality Association, 2004
- Certified HACCP Manager, NSF International and Experior, 2005.
Suez Trophy of Merit (the highest innovation award given by the group), Brussels, December 2002
- 2002 Grand Prize Management Innovation Trophy, Suez Group. Brussels, December 2002
- Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Management and Science. International Water Association, Berlin, 2001
Inventor of the Year Award. The Intellectual Property Law Association. Chicago, May 2001
- 2000 Grand Prize Technical Innovation Trophy, Suez Group. Paris, December 2000.
- Governor’s Pollution Prevention Award. The State of Illinois. 1999.
- R&D 100 Award. Research and Development Magazine. 1998. 40(10):140
- Rohm and Haas Computer Applications Research Award. November, 1986.
- Rohm and Haas Performance Merit Award. January, 1986.
- Environmental Protection Agency Post-Doctoral Fellowship. 1982-1984.
- NOVA Foundation Scholar, Full Graduate Research Scholarship, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1981.